Friday, June 20, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me!






Our week started off by sending Austin off to Youth Front Camp in Kansas City. It's the Junior High camp that our church goes to every year. Other churches join our church there for the week. This is Austin's first experience going away anywhere without family. He was looking forward to swimming, playing in the lake and riding "The Blob". I hope it's a chance for him to make some lasting friendships with some of the kids from our church and other churches in the state.

On Tuesday we took Dylan to church to send him off to Camp Allen. This is the camp for elementary students at our church. Unlike Austin's camp, this camp is just for our church kids. Dylan was not as excited to go. He was concerned about me being sad on my birthday without him. He's such a sweetheart. James knew it would be hard on me to celebrate my first birthday without the boys, so we took a trip to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

After sending Dylan off to camp, we returned home to clean up the house and pack up our clothes. We made it to Charlotte (Yes, the same place I got stuck in not even a week ago.) without a problem. Then it was off to Myrtle Beach. We booked our hotel through Hotwire.com once we had our seats on the last plane. It wasn't a bad place. We stayed at the Ocean Dunes Resort. As soon as we got into our room, we went out onto the balcony. Oh how I've missed the sound of the waves crashing on the shore. The smell of the salty ocean air. I couldn't wait to get out on the beach. Off we went for a moonlit walk on the sand.

The next day I woke up at 8:00 ready to play on the beach. So, James reluctantly got out of bed and changed. We ate breakfast and went out on the beach. I was very proud of James. He only complained a little about the sand (He despises sand.)while we laid out on the beach. Then we played in the waves. James of course wanting to go out much further than myself. Then it was back to working on the tan. I love sleeping on the beach. The sounds of the waves and seagulls is so soothing to me. My dream is to one day have a house on the beach. Maybe in my forties. I started missing the boys a little while watching kids play in the sand and waves, but I kept reminding myself that they were having a great time at camp.

James and I finished the day walking to dinner. Along the way we picked out houses we'd like to own some day. James even got a picture of our top pick on his iphone. We'll have to upload it later. I had a great birthday dinner at a Mexican restaurant. And we enjoyed one last walk on the beach. It just might have been the best birthday ever!

No comments: